- Molecular biology laboratory is one the laboratories of INES-Ruhengeri which is considered as an academic laboratory(for teaching purpose).
- As an academic laboratory, it is used to train students in Applied Biosciences (especially the students of biomedical laboratory sciences department and Biotechnologies departments) about the techniques of Molecular Biology and Genetic Engineering and immuno-serology techniques.
- The students use this lab in the following modules/unit:
- Department of Biotechnology:
- Level III food biotechnology: Advanced molecular biology(I(observing the materials used in lab, DNA extraction and PCR, agarose gel electrophoresis).
- Level III: Recombinant DNA technology (DNA extraction and PCR, agarose gel electrophoresis).
- Genetic engineering ( transformation and transfection).
Department of Biomedical Laboratory Sciences:
- Level II : Molecular biology I(observing the materials used in lab.
- Level III: Molecular Biology II & Med. Genetics Engineering and Bioinformatics: DNA extraction and PCR, agarose gel electrophoresis.
- level III: Chemical pathology III: ELISA for hormones
- Level II: Immunology and Virology: agglutination tests
- Level III: Applied immunology : ELISA
Main activities in the laboratory
- Genomic DNA extraction
- In our lab, the DNA is extracted from blood sample by using specific kit (invitrogen) or/and from plant and animal tissue by using specific protocol.
- Total RNA extraction
- In our lab we do the RNA extraction and purification from blood and animal tissues by using specific protocol and kits.
- Transformation stands for genetic alteration of prokaryote by introducing the new DNA from another cell especially plasmid. In our lab we do the transformation of bacteria by using specific kit (invitrogen).
- DNA amplification is done by using thermocycler
5. Agarose Gel Electrophoresis
- After DNA amplification, the amplified of DNA sample is run on agarose gel electrophoresis for separation and analysed by using UV transilluminator or documentation system.
- In our lab, the ELISA (Enzyme-Linked Immunosorbent Assay) is performed to diagnose the diseases. We do ELISA of Hepatitis C, Rubella, free prostate specific antigen (fPSA), Hormone like cortisol, T3, T4, TSH.