Department of Land Administration and Management
Head of the Department
MANIRAKIZA Richard, PhD Real Estate, Valuation and Property Management
Land administration concerns the collection, storage, and dissemination of information about ownership, value and use of land while implementing land management policies. Core in land administration is the cadastre, which is an official record of information about land parcels, including details of their boundaries, tenure, value and use of land. Such land information, combined with other geographical information or SDI makes information available to decision makers and provides capacity to control and manage land through the four land administration functions: tenure/ownership; value; land use and land development. Such information is also useful in land dispute resolution; stimulating land market and helping decision makers make better use of land though efficient land use planning.
(Williamson et al; 2010)
Graduates from this programme will be comprehensively equipped in matters related but not restricted to: cadastral surveying, land law, real estate valuation, land registration, land dispute resolution, computer-based mapping among others.
Overall objective is to eventually strengthen the manpower capacity of institutions engaged in land related activities, environmental management and protection etc. Specifically, the objectives of the programme are to:
- Produce graduates who are competent in solving land related problems creatively and analytically based on economically and socially sound facts;
- Produce graduates with adequate knowledge and skills to administer, manage and develop land resources;
- Produce graduates with leadership and professional skills and able to apply the acquired knowledge for land administration, management and development; and
- Equip graduates with the capacity to effectively respond to institutional, operational and organisational challenges in the various land related fields.
Degree and Academic Award
BSc Degree in Land Administration and Management
This is a 4 years program
Direct Entry Requirements
The general entrance requirements at University level shall apply with applicants meeting the following specified entrance requirements:
- One must have sat and passed at level A1 or its equivalent with the following subject cluster combinations: (Maths, Physics, and Chemistry); (Maths, Chemistry, Biology); (Maths, Computer Science, Economics); (Maths, Economics, Geography); (History, Economics, Geography); (Maths, Physics, Geography); (Maths, Physics, Biology).
- Or TVET Diploma in relevant land related discipline;
- Or any degree holder in any field. Credit transfer is subject to approval by the Senate.
Private sponsored students must meet minimum university entry qualification. Selection and admission to the programme will be based on the availability of vacancies/space.
Level 1 (Year 1): Modules
Communication Skills; Mathematics; Philosophical Studies; Probability and Statistics; Economics; ; Introduction to Land Administration; Environment and Natural Resource management; Basic Computer Science and Programming
Level 2 (Year 2)Modules
Sociology; Introduction to Law; Introduction to Surveying; Physical Planning; Real Property Market; Geodesy and GNSS; Land Law and Tenure Systems
Level 3 (Year 3) Modules
Remote Sensing, Photogrammetry and Mapping; Geographic Information Systems
Investment Theory and Practice; Property Rights and Commons
Level 4 (Year 3) Modules
Research Methods; Cadastral Surveying; Property Valuation; Industrial Attachment
Level 5 (Year 4) Modules
Land Information Systems; Conveyancing; Land Reforms and Development; Spatial Data Infrastructure; Principles of Management; Negotiation and Arbitration; Evaluating Land Administration and Information Systems; Project
Given the broad nature of land administration and management, the graduates are trained for careers in land acquisition, land administration, land information management, real estate, land use planning and development and research. Graduates of this course are expected to work as land administrators, land acquisition negotiators, land development consultants, land developers, land researchers, property valuers and land investment advisors in organization such as:
- Land registration and cadastral agencies;
- Financial institutions such as banks dealing in mortgages;
- Property development and management companies;
- Tax authorities;
- Infrastructural development organizations;
- Real estate appraisal firms; and
- Non-Governmental organizations.
For more information contact:
Tel: +250 788626576/0727125236