- Parasitology Laboratory is one of teaching laboratories at INES-RUHENGERI and is mainly used by students in the department of Biomedical laboratory Sciences.
- In this Laboratory, our students are trained on how to perform basic practicals necessary for the diagnosis of parasitic diseases related to medical parasitology.
Repartitions of Parasitology module depends to the levels :
- LEVEL I : PARASITOLOGY I Module: in this module students use to perform basic practicals specifically :
-Study of microscope , specimens (stool, urine , etc) collection, identification of intestinal and blood protozoa.
- LEVEL II : PARASITOLOGY II Module : -Identification of helminthes
- LEVEL III : PARASITOLOGY III Module : -Identification of
- LEVEL IV: PARASITOLOGY IV Module : Culture (Coproculture), PCR, Serology , etc.
Following are main activities performed by students:
- Preparation of Stool samples for Microscopic examination of Intestinal parasites through:
Wet mount preparations:-Saline wet mounts
-Iodine wet mounts
–Formalin-Ether concentration technique
- Preparation of Urine samples for Microscopic examination
- Preparation & Staining of slides for Microscopic examination of blood parasites (Malaria parasites)
To achieve well all of these practicals , some equipments , materials and reagents are used:
EQUIPMENT AND MATERIALS
- Urine & stool containers
- Slides &cover slides
- Rinse papers
- Gauzes, etc
- Giemsa SOLUTION
- Oil immersion
- NORMAL SALINE
- IODINE SOLUTION
- METHYLENE BLUE